ETYM Cf. French dispute. Related to Dispute.
1. A disagreement or argument about something important; SYN. difference, difference of opinion, conflict.
2. Coming into conflict with; SYN. contravention.
1. To make a subject of argument; to argue the pros and cons of; to discuss.
2. To oppose by argument or assertion; to attempt to overthrow; to express dissent or opposition to; to call in question.
3. To strive or contend about; to contest.
4. To struggle against; to resist.
1. Réprimander. Disputer un enfant.
2. Lutter pour. Disputer un match.
3. (Pron.) Se quereller.