District in the Balkans, bounded N and W by the Danube and E by the Black Sea. It is low-lying, partly marshland, partly fertile steppe land. Constanta is the chief town. Dobruja was divided between Romania and Bulgaria 1878. In 1913, after the second Balkan War, Bulgaria ceded its part to Romania but received it back 1940, a cession confirmed by the peace treaty of 1947.