ETYM Shortened from aback.
1. At or to or toward or the back or rear; SYN. backward, backwards, rearward, rearwards.
2. In answer; SYN. in reply.
3. In or to or toward a former location.
4. In or to or toward a past time; SYN. backward.
5. In or to or toward an original condition.
6. In repayment or retaliation.
1. The part of something that is furthest from the normal viewer:; SYN. rear.
2. The part of a garment that covers one's back
3. A support that one can lean against while sitting; SYN. backrest.
4. The position of a player on a football team who is stationed behind the line of scrimmage.
5. (Football) A person who plays in the backfield.
1. To be behind; support or vote for; SYN. endorse, plump for, plunk for, support.
2. To be in back of
3. To cause to travel backward
4. To shift to a counterclockwise direction, of the wind.
5. To strengthen by providing with a back or backing.
6. To support financial backing for
7. To travel backward