/ hoʊld /
Prevedi hold na: francuski
ETYM Dutch hol hole, hollow. Related to Hole.
1. Power by which something or someone is affected or dominated.
2. A cell in a jail or prison; SYN. keep.
3. (Archaic) A stronghold.
Tamnica, uze, haps, robija.
/ hoʊld /
Prevedi hold na: francuski · nemački
(Irregular preterit, past participle: held).
1. To aim, point, or direct.
2. To assert or affirm.
3. To be the support of; also metaphorically; SYN. support, sustain, hold up.
4. To contain or hold; have within; SYN. bear, carry, contain.
5. To cover as for protection against noise or smell.
6. To have as a major characteristic.
7. To have or hold in one's hands; also metaphorically; SYN. take hold.
8. To hold the attention of.
9. To keep from departing.
10. To keep from exhaling or expelling.
11. To organize or be responsible for;,, etc.; SYN. throw, have, make, give.
12. To remain committed to.
13. To remain in a certain state, position, or condition.
14. To stop dealing with.
15. To support or hold in a certain manner; SYN. carry, bear.
16. To take and maintain control over, often by violent means.