1. Lacking embellishment or ornamentation; SYN. unembellished, unornamented.
2. Lacking patterns especially in color; SYN. unpatterned.
3. Not elaborate or elaborated; simple.
4. Not mixed with extraneous elements; SYN. sheer, unmingled, unmixed.
5. Free from any effort to soften to disguise; SYN. unvarnished.
6. Comprehensible to the general public; SYN. popular.
ETYM Cf. Old Fren. plaigne, French plaine. Related to Plain.
1. An extensive area of level or rolling treeless country; a broad unbroken expanse.
2. Something free from artifice, ornament, or extraneous matter.
3. Extensive tract of level open land; SYN. field, champaign.