1. A U-shaped bar; the open end can be passed through chain links and closed with a bar.
2. Anything that restrains (especially something used to tie down or restrain a prisoner); SYN. bond, hamper, trammel, trammels.
3. Obsolete unit of length, used at sea for measuring cable or chain. One shackle is 15 fathoms (90 ft/27 m).
1. To tie or restrain the limbs of, so as to prevent free motion; to bind with shackles; to fetter; to chain.
2. (Figurative) To bind or confine so as to prevent or hinder action; to impede; to cumber.
3. To join by a link or chain (such as railroad cars).