ETYM Old Eng. tree, tre, treo, AS. treó, treów, tree, wood.
1. A figure that branches from a single root; SYN. tree diagram.
2. A tall perennial woody plant having a main trunk and branches forming a distinct elevated crown; includes both gymnosperms and angiosperms.
Perennial plant with a woody stem, usually a single stem or “trunk”, made up of wood and protected by an outer layer of bark. It absorbs water through a root system. There is no clear dividing line between shrubs and trees, but sometimes a minimum achievable height of 6 m/20 ft is used to define a tree.
A treelike form has evolved independently many times in different groups of plants. Among the angiosperms, or flowering plants, most trees are dicotyledons. This group includes trees such as oak, beech, ash, chestnut, lime, and maple, and they are often referred to as broad-leaved trees because their leaves are broader than those of conifers, such as pine and spruce. In temperate regions angiosperm trees are mostly deciduous (that is, they lose their leaves in winter), but in the tropics most angiosperm trees are evergreen. There are fewer trees among the monocotyledons, but the palms and bamboos (some of which are treelike) belong to this group. The gymnosperms include many trees and they are classified into four orders: Cycadales (including cycads and sago palms), Coniferales (the conifers), Ginkgoales (including only one living species, the ginkgo, or maidenhair tree), and Taxales (including yews). Apart from the ginkgo and the larches (conifers), most gymnosperm trees are evergreen. There are also a few l.
Iving trees in the pteridophyte group, known as tree ferns. In the swamp forests of the Carboniferous era, 300 million years ago, there were giant treelike horsetails and club mosses in addition to the tree ferns. The world's oldest trees are found in the Pacific forest of North America, some more than 2,000 years old.
Drvenasta biljka, ogrevni i građevinski materijal.
1. Predmet na koji se nešto navlači da bi se dobio njegov oblik (npr. kalup za izradu cipela);
2. Drveni ili metalni sud, a može biti i od drugog materijala, u koji se uliva neka tečna materija da bi se, kad se ohladi ili skupi, dobila određena forma nekog dela ili celog proizvoda;
3. Dobiveni proizvod ili deo nakon odlevanja u kalupu;
4. Obrazac, oblik, forma;
5. Zbijeni, čvrsto povezan smotuljak duvana, sena, slame (bala) i sl.;
6. Prenosno: nešto što se pravi uvek istih dimenzija ili po istoj meri (tur.)