ETYM Latin declivitas, from declivis sloping, downhill; de + clivus a slope, a hill; akin to clinare to incline: cf. French déclivité. Related to Decline.
1. Deviation from a horizontal line; gradual descent of surface; inclination downward; slope; -- opposed to acclivity, or ascent.
2. A descending surface; a sloping place.
3. Place that slopes downwards; inclination downwards.
4. Downward slope.
ETYM French descente, from descendre; like vente, from vendre. Related to Descend.
1. A downward slope; SYN. declivity, fall, decline, downslope.
2. A movement downward.
3. The act of changing one's location in a downward direction.
4. The kinship relation between an individual and the individual's progenitors; SYN. line of descent, lineage, filiation.