ETYM Perh. from Eng. rate, v. t., to value at a certain rate, to estimate, but more prob. from Swed. rata to find fault, to blame, to despise, to hold cheap; cf. Icel. hrat refuse, hrati rubbish.
1. To assign a rank or rating to; SYN. rank, range, order, grade, place.
2. To be worthy of or have a certain rating; SYN. deserve, merit.
3. To estimate the value of something; SYN. value.
value / væljuː /
1. To fix or determine the value of; assign a value to, as of jewelry or art work.
2. To hold in esteem; to consider valuable.