ETYM Old Eng. estable, French stable, from Latin stabilis, from stare to stand. Related to Stand, Establish.
1. Firm and dependable; subject to little fluctuation.
2. Maintaining equilibrium.
3. Not taking part readily in chemical change.
4. Resistant to change of position or condition.
ETYM French substantiel, Latin substantialis.
1. Being the essence or essential element of a thing; SYN. substantive, in essence.
2. Having substance or capable of being treated as fact; not imaginary; SYN. real, material.
ETYM French tenable, from tenir to hold, Latin tenere. Related to Thin, Continue, Continent, Entertain, Maintain, Tenant, Tent.
Based on sound reasoning or evidence; SYN. well-founded.
That can be held or maintained.