ETYM Pref. a- + head.
1. Ahead of time; in anticipation; SYN. in advance, beforehand.
2. At or in the front; SYN. in front, before.
3. In a forward direction; SYN. onward, onwards, forward, forwards, forrader.
4. Leading or ahead in a competition; SYN. out front, in the lead.
5. To a different or a more advanced time (meaning advanced either toward the present or toward the future).
6. To a more advanced or advantageous position.
7. Toward the future; forward in time; SYN. forward.
aloft / əlɒft /
ETYM Pref. a- + loft, which properly meant air. Related to Loft.
1. At or to great height; high up in or into the air.
2. In the higher atmosphere above the earth.
4. At or on or to the masthead or upper rigging of a ship.
ETYM as. up, upp, űp; akin to OFries. up, op, Dutch op, os. űp, Old High Germ. űf, German auf, Icel. and Swed. upp, Dan. op, Goth. iup, and probably to Eng. over. Related to Over.
1. Spatially or metaphorically from a lower to a higher position; SYN. upwards, upward, upwardly.
2. Nearer to the speaker.
3. To a higher intensity.
4. To a later time; SYN. upwards, upward.
5. To a more central or a more northerly place.
upstairs / əpsterz /
Sinonimi: up the stairs · on a higher floor · in the head · in the mind
Sinonimi: in the head · in the mind · on a higher floor · up the stairs
1. On a floor above; SYN. up the stairs, on a higher floor.
2. With respect to the mind; SYN. in the head, in the mind. up stairs