1. To scrape or dig with the claws or nails
2. To rub and tear or mark the surface of with something sharp or jagged
3. To scrape or rub lightly (as to relieve itching); to act on (a desire) — used with itch
4. To scrape together; collect with difficulty or by effort
5. To write or draw on a surface
6. To cancel or erase by or as if by drawing a line through; to withdraw (an entry) from competition
7. Scribble, scrawl
8. To scrape along a rough surface
9. To use the claws or nails in digging, tearing, or wounding
10. To scrape or rub oneself lightly (as to relieve itching)
11. To gather money or make a living by hard work and especially through irregular means and sacrifice
12. To make a thin grating sound; to produce a rhythmic scratching sound by moving a phonograph record back and forth under a phonograph needle
13. To withdraw from a contest or engagement
14. To make a scratch in billiards or pool
15. To cut the surface of; wear away the surface of; SYN. scrape, scratch up.
1. To annoy persistently; SYN. badger, harass, pester, bug, beleaguer.
2. To harass with persistent criticism or carping; SYN. rag, cod, tantalize, bait, taunt, twit, rally, ride.
3. To disentangle and raise the fibers of; SYN. tease apart, loosen.
4. To ruffle by combing towards the ends towards the scalp, for a full effect; of hair; SYN. fluff.
5. To separate the fibers of; SYN. card.
6. To tear into pieces
7. To raise the nap of (fabrics).