1. A sharp point, as on a hook.
2. A subsidiary point facing opposite from the main point that makes an object hard to remove.
3. An ironic or pointed comment.
4. One of the parallel filaments projecting from the main shaft of a feather.
5. The pointed part of barbed wire.
barbed statement / ˈbɑːrbd ˈsteɪtmənt /
dart / dɑːrt /
ETYM Old Fren. dart, of German origin; cf. Old High Germ. tart javelin, dart, AS. darath, daroth, Swed. dart dagger, Icel. darrathr dart.
1. A small narrow pointed missile that is thrown or shot.
2. A tapered tuck made in dressmaking.