/ hɑːrtfərd /
Množina reči Hartford je Hartfords.
Hartford · capital of Connecticut
1. City in Alabama (USA); zip code 36344.
2. City in Arkansas (USA); zip code 72938.
3. City in Connecticut (USA).
4. City in Iowa (USA); zip code 50118.
5. City in Kansas (USA); zip code 66854.
6. City in Kentucky (USA); zip code 42347.
7. City in Michigan (USA); zip code 49057.
8. City in South Dakota (USA); zip code 57033.
9. City in Wisconsin (USA); zip code 53027.
10. The state capital of Connecticut; located in central Connecticut on the Connecticut river; a center of the insurance business; Also called: capital of Connecticut.
11. Village in Illinois (USA); zip code 62048.
12. Village in Ohio (USA).
Capital city of Connecticut, US, located in the N central part of the state, on the Connecticut River, NE of Waterbury; The “insurance capital of the nation”, Hartford is the base of over 40 insurance companies. Other industries include insurance, firearms, business office equipment, and tools.
First settled 1635 by Puritans from the Massachusetts Bay Colony, the Hartford Colony drew up the Fundamental Orders of Connecticut 1639, which was possibly the world's first written constitution, and later became the model for the US constitution. Hartford Colony became the colony of Connecticut 1662.
Its link with insurance dates from 1794 when the first Hartford fire insurance policy was issued. Other important companies based here include Pratt and Whitney Aircraft, and the Colt Company, which began making revolvers in the 19th century. Hartford is also the home of the Winchester rifle, whose development is shown in the gun museum.
Historic buildings include the Old State House 1796, designed by Charles Bulfinch; the Noah Webster House, the birthplace of the author of the American Dictionary; the Mark Twain House 1874; and the Harriet Beecher Stowe House. The many skyscrapers include Constitution Plaza 1964, an urban renewal project (including the Phoenix Mutual Life Insurance Building), Hartford Civil Center 1975, City Place 1984, the tallest building in the state, and One Corporate Center 1980s. The Wadsworth Atheneum 1844 is the oldest free public art museum in the United States.