(Irregular preterit, past participle: woke, woken).
1. To be awake, be alert, be there; SYN. awaken; wake up.
2. To awaken; to rouse from sleep; SYN. rouse; stir.
Watch kept over the body of a dead person during the night before their funeral; it originated in Anglo-Saxon times as the eve before a festival.
ETYM Cf. as. woeccan, wacian. Related to Watch, Wake.
1. To see or view; SYN. view, see, catch, take in.
2. To observe with attention; SYN. look on.
3. To look attentively.
4. To follow with the eyes or the mind; SYN. observe, follow, watch over, keep an eye on.
5. To be vigilant, be on the lookout, be on one's guard, be careful; SYN. look out, watch out.