ETYM Old Fren. cofre, French coffre, Latin cophinus basket, from Greek. Related to Coffin.
1. A chest especially for storing valuables.
2. An ornamental sunken panel in a ceiling or dome; SYN. caisson, lacuna.
1. A calculator that keeps a record of the number of times something happens; SYN. tabulator.
2. Horizontal surface over which business is transacted.
3. Piece of leather forming the back of a shoe or boot.
4. The part that fits the heel; SYN. heel.
5. Used in various card or board games.
ETYM Old Eng. tresorie, French trésorerie.
1. A depository (a room or building) where wealth and precious objects can be kept safely.
2. The funds of a government or institution or individual; SYN. exchequer.
3. The government department responsible for collecting and managing and spending public revenues.