ETYM Latin civilis, from civis citizen: cf. French civil. Related to City.
1. (Of divisions of time) Legally recognized in ordinary affairs of life.
2. Applying to ordinary citizens.
3. Not rude; marked by satisfactory (or especially minimal) adherence to social usages and sufficient but not noteworthy consideration for others; SYN. polite.
4. Of or in a condition of social order.
5. Of or occurring within the state or between or among citizens of the state.
6. Of or relating to or befitting citizens as individuals; SYN. civic.