ETYM French argument, Latin argumentum, from arguere to argue.
1. A discussion in which reasons are advanced for and against some proposition or proposal; SYN. debate.
2. A fact or assertion offered as evidence that something is true; SYN. statement.
3. A summary of the subject or plot of a literary work or play or movie; SYN. literary argument.
4. A variable in a logical or mathematical expression whose value determines the dependent variable; if f equals y, x is the independent variable; SYN. independent variable.
ETYM Cf. French dispute. Related to Dispute.
1. A disagreement or argument about something important; SYN. difference, difference of opinion, conflict.
2. Coming into conflict with; SYN. contravention.