1. To examine hastily; SYN. skim, rake, glance over, run down.
2. To glance over or read superficially.
3. To make a wide, sweeping search of
4. To move a light beam over; in electronics, to reproduce an image.
5. To examine minutely or intensely.
6. To read metrically
7. To conform to a metrical pattern; said of poetic verse.
1. To search or seek; SYN. look.
2. To subject to a search
3. To try to locate or discover, or try to establish the existence of; SYN. seek, look for.
sift / sɪft /
1. To put through a sieve; to separate or separate out by or as if by putting through a sieve
2. To go through especially to sort out what is useful or valuable — often used with through
3. To scatter by or as if by sifting
4. To use a sieve
5. To pass or fall as if through a sieve
1. To make an effort or attempt; SYN. seek, attempt, essay, assay.
2. To test the limits of; SYN. strain, stress.
3. To give pain or trouble to
4. To melt (fat, lard, etc.) in order to separate out impurities; SYN. render.