ETYM AS. hlid, from hlîdan (in comp.) to cover, shut; akin to OS. hlîdan (in comp.), Dutch lid lid, Old High Germ. hlit, German augenlid eyelid, Icel. hlith gate, gateway.
A movable cover (hinged or separate) for closing the opening of a container.
shutter / ʃʌtər /
Množina reči shutter je shutters.
1. A hinged blind for a window.
2. A mechanical device on a camera that opens and closes to control the time of a photographic exposure.
valve / vælv /
Množina reči valve je valves.
ETYM Latin valva the leaf, fold, or valve of a door: cf. French valve.
1. A structure in a hollow organ (like the heart) with a flap to insure one-way flow of fluid through it.
2. Any mechanical device for controlling the flow of a fluid.
3. Device in a brass wind instrument for varying the length of the air column to alter the pitch of a tone.