1. A spherical object used as a plaything.
2. Any object with a spherical shape; SYN. globe, orb.
3. A more or less rounded body or mass; ball of the human foot or ball at the base of the thumb.
4. A compact mass; SYN. clod, glob, lump, clump, chunk.
5. A lavish formal dance.
6. (Baseball) A pitch that is not in the strike zone.
7. Round object that is hit or thrown or kicked in games.
ETYM Of Celtic origin; cf. Gael. goil fume, rage.
1. A round shape formed by a series of concentric circles; SYN. whorl, roll, curl, curlicue, ringlet, gyre, scroll.
2. Something wound in a continuous series of loops; SYN. spiral, volute, whorl, helix.
3. Tubing that is wound in a spiral.
4. A transformer that supplies high voltage to spark plugs in a gasoline engine.
5. A spiral of insulated wire that introduces inductance into a circuit.
6. A contraceptive device placed inside a woman's womb.
hank / hæŋk /
ETYM Cf. Dan. hank handle, Swed. hank a band or tie, Icel. hanki hasp, clasp, hönk, hangr, hank, coil, skein, German henkel, henk, handle; all prob. akin to Eng. hang. Related to Hang.
Loops of rope or wool or yarn.
Series of rings or clips for attaching a jib or staysail to a stay.