ETYM Latin anfractuosus, from anfractus a turning, a winding, from the unused anfringere to wind, bend; an-, for amb- + fractus, p. p. of frangere to break: cf. French anfractueux.
Full of twists and turns; full of windings and intricate turnings.
Botany, wavy; snakelike; spiral-shaped.
ETYM Latin devius; de + via way. Related to Viaduct.
1. Characterized by insincerity or deceit; evasive; SYN. shifty.
2. Departing from the accepted or proper way; misleading; SYN. oblique.
3. Deviating from a straight course; SYN. circuitous, roundabout.
ETYM Old Eng. tortuos, Latin tortuosus, from tortus a twisting, winding, from torquere, tortum, to twist: cf. French tortueux. Related to Torture.
1. Marked by repeated turns and bends; SYN. twisting, twisty, winding.
2. Not straightforward.
1. Consisting of wind; accompanied or characterized by wind; exposed to wind.
2. Next to the wind; windward.
3. Tempestuous; boisterous.
4. Attended or caused by wind, or gas, in the intestines.
5. (Figurative) Empty; airy.