ETYM Cf. as. cop, copp, head, top, Dutch kop, German kopf, kuppe, Late Lat. cuppa cup (cf. Eng. brainpan), and also w. cob tuft, spider, cop, copa, top, summit, cobio to thump. Related to Cop top, Cup.
1. dialect England; A rounded mass, lump, or heap; A mixture of unburnt clay and straw used especially for constructing walls of small houses in England.
2. A crudely struck old Spanish coin of irregular shape.
1. The act of hitting vigorously; SYN. belt, rap, whack, whang.
2. The sound of knocking (as on a door or in an engine or bearing); SYN. knocking.
3. A vigorous blow; SYN. bash, bang, smash, belt.
4. Negative criticism; SYN. roast.
5. A bad experience.
palpitation / pælpəteɪʃn̩ /
ETYM Latin palpitatio: cf. French palpitation.
Condition where a person becomes aware of his or her own heartbeat. This is normal with heightened emotion (fear, excitement), but may also be a symptom of heart disease or hyperthyroidism.
A rapid and irregular heart beat.