ETYM French, from Latin profanus, properly, before the temple, i. e., without the temple, unholy; pro before + fanum temple. Related to Fane.
1. Not holy because unconsecrated or impure or defiled; SYN. unconsecrated, unsanctified.
2. Not sacred or concerned with religion.
ETYM Old Eng. secular, seculer. Latin saecularis, from saeculum a race, generation, age, the times, the world; perhaps akin to Eng. soul: cf. French séculier.
1. Of or pertaining to this present world, or to things not spiritual; relating to temporal as distinguished from eternal interests.
2. Pertaining to an age, or the progress of ages, or to a long period of time; accomplished in a long progress of time.
3. Coming or observed once in an age or a century.
4. Not regular; not bound by monastic vows or rules; not confined to a monastery, or subject to the rules of a religious community.
5. Belonging to the laity; lay; not clerical.
Worldly; non-religious; not belonging to religious order; lasting for centuries; occurring once in a century.