ETYM French contrôle a counter register, contr. from contr-rôle; contre (Latin contra) + rôle roll, catalogue. Related to Counter and Roll, Counterroll.
1. Power to direct or determine.
2. A mechanism that controls the operation of a machine; SYN. controller.
3. A relation of constraint of one entity (thing or person or group) by another.
4. A spiritual agency that is assumed to assist the medium during a seance.
5. (Physiology) Regulation or maintenance of a function or action or reflex etc.
6. The activity of managing or exerting control over something; SYN. controlling.
7. The economic policy of controlling or limiting or curbing prices or wages etc.
ETYM Latin praevalentia: cf. French prévalence. Related to Prevail.
1. The quality of prevailing generally; being widespread.
2. The degree to which something is prevalent; especially; the percentage of a population that is affected with a particular disease at a given time.
ETYM Old Eng. stert a tail, as. steort; akin to lg. stert, steert, Dutch staart, German sterz, Icel. stertr, Dan. stiert, Swed. stjert. Related to Stark naked, under Stark, Start.
1. A turn to be in a game at the beginning; SYN. starting.
2. Advantage gained by an early start as in a race; SYN. head start.
3. The beginning of anything.