ETYM Latin precarius obtained by begging or prayer, depending on request or on the will of another, from precari to pray, beg. Related to Pray.
1. Affording no ease or reassurance; SYN. unstable.
2. Dangerously insecure.
3. Not secure; beset with difficulties; SYN. shaky.
ETYM Pref. un- + certain. Related to Incertain.
1. Lacking or indicating lack of confidence or assurance; SYN. unsure, incertain.
2. Not established beyond doubt; still undecided or unknown.
3. Not certain to occur; not inevitable.
4. Not consistent or dependable.
5. Not firm or secure.
6. Not safe from danger or mishap; SYN. unsure.
7. Especially in the negative as in, meaning.