ETYM French ŕ part; (Latin ad) + part part. Related to Part.
1. Away from another or others.
2. Into parts or pieces; SYN. asunder.
3. Not taken into account or excluded from consideration; SYN. aside.
4. One from the other.
5. Separated or at a distance in place or position or time.
ETYM Pref. a- + side.
1. In reserve; not for immediate use; SYN. by, away.
2. On or to one side.
3. Out of the way (especially away from one's thoughts); SYN. away.
4. Placed or kept separate and distinct as for a purpose; SYN. apart.