ETYM French atrocité, Latin atrocitas, from atrox, atrocis, cruel.
1. A act of atrocious cruelty; SYN. inhumanity.
2. The quality of being shockingly cruel and inhumane; SYN. atrociousness, barbarity, barbarousness, heinousness.
ETYM Old Fren. cruelté, French cruauté, from Latin crudelitas, from crudelis. Related to Cruel.
1. A cruel act; a deliberate infliction of pain and suffering; SYN. inhuman treatment.
2. Feelings of extreme heartlessness; SYN. mercilessness, pitilessness, ruthlessness.
3. The quality of being cruel and causing tension or annoyance; SYN. cruelness, harshness.
ETYM Latin ferocitas, from ferox, -ocis, fierce, kin to ferus wild: cf. French ferocité. Related to Fierce.
The property of being wild or turbulent; SYN. fierceness, furiousness, fury, vehemence, violence, wildness.