ETYM AS. and; akin to OS. endi, Icel. enda, Old High Germ. anti, enti, inti, unti, German und, Dutch en, OD. ende. Cf, An if, Ante-.
1. A particle which expresses the relation of connection or addition. It is used to conjoin a word with a word, a clause with a clause, or a sentence with a sentence.
2. In order to; -- used instead of the infinitival to, especially after try, come, go.
ETYM Old Eng. nou, nu, as. nű, nu; akin to Dutch, os., and Old High Germ. nu, German nu, nun, Icel., nű, Dan., Swed., and Goth. nu, Latin nunc.
1. At the present moment; SYN. at present.
2. In the historical present; at this point in the narration of a series of past events.
3. In the immediate past.
4. Used to preface a command or reproof or request.
ETYM Originally the same word as than. Related to Than.
1. At that time.
2. In that case or as a consequence.
3. Subsequently or soon afterward (often used as sentence connectors); SYN. so, and so, and then.
therein / ðerɪn /
Sinonimi: in this · in that
Sinonimi: in that · in this
(Formal) In or into that thing or place; SYN. in this, in that.