1. To make a subject of argument; to argue the pros and cons of; to discuss.
2. To oppose by argument or assertion; to attempt to overthrow; to express dissent or opposition to; to call in question.
3. To strive or contend about; to contest.
4. To struggle against; to resist.
fend / fend /
2. To keep or ward off; repel — often used with off
3 dialect British; to provide for; support
4. dialect British; to make an effort; struggle
5. To try to get along without help; shift
6. To provide a livelihood
impugn / ɪmpjuːn /
To attack as false or wrong.
To oppose; to attack by words or arguments.
To challenge; call in question; oppose; attack by argument.