ETYM Old Fren. aprouer; a (Latin ad) + a form apparently derived from the pro, prod, in Latin prodest it is useful or profitable, properly the preposition pro for. Related to Improve.
1. To give sanction to; SYN. ok, okay, sanction.
2. To judge to be right or commendable; think well of.
1. To express a good opinion of; SYN. recommend.
2. To express approval of.
3. To give to in charge.
4. To mention as by way of greeting or to indicate friendship; SYN. remember.
5. To present as worthy of regard, kindness, or confidence.