ETYM Latin compulsio. Related to Compel.
1. An irrational motive for performing trivial or repetitive actions against one's will; SYN. obsession.
2. An urge to do or say something that might be better left undone or unsaid; SYN. irresistible impulse.
3. Using force to cause something; SYN. coercion.
Množina reči compulsiveness je compulsivenesses.
The trait of acting compulsively; SYN. compulsivity.
ETYM French obligation. Latin obligatio. Related to Oblige.
1. A legal agreement specifying a payment or action and the penalty for failure to comply.
2. The state of having financial obligations.
In politics, the duty of individuals to obey the laws of their state and, generally, to accept the authority of its government. The basis of political obligation has been depicted as a contract between ruler and people or as arising from the state's ability to provide for the welfare of its citizens.