/ drɪft /
Množina reči drift je drifts.
impetus · impulsion · trend · purport · heading · gallery
gallery · heading · impetus · impulsion · movement · purport · trend
ETYM From drive; akin to LG. and Dutch drift a driving, Icel. drift snowdrift, Dan. drift, impulse, drove, herd, pasture, common, German trift pasturage, drove. Related to Drive.
1. The gradual departure from an intended course due to external influences (as a ship or plane).
2. A force that moves something along; SYN. impetus, impulsion.
3. A general tendency as of opinion; SYN. trend.
4. A process of linguistic change over a period of time.
5. General meaning or tenor; SYN. purport.
6. Something heaped up by the wind or current.
7. (Mining) A horizontal (or nearly horizontal) passageway in a mine; SYN. heading, gallery.
A change of a reading or a set point value over long periods due to several factors including change in ambient temperature, time, and line voltage.