1. To cause to become awake or conscious; SYN. waken, rouse, wake up, arouse.
2. To make aware.
rouse / raʊz /
1. To awaken; to spur to action; to excite.
2. To become aroused; awaken
3. To become stirred
wake / ˈweɪk /
(Irregular preterit, past participle: woke, woken).
1. To be awake, be alert, be there; SYN. awaken; wake up.
2. To awaken; to rouse from sleep; SYN. rouse; stir.
Watch kept over the body of a dead person during the night before their funeral; it originated in Anglo-Saxon times as the eve before a festival.