ETYM Latin cannonicus, Late Lat. canonicalis, from Latin canon: cf. French canonique. Related to canon.
1. Appearing in a Biblical canon; SYN. canonical.
2. Conforming to orthodox or recognized rules; SYN. canonical, sanctioned.
3. Of or relating to or required by canon law; SYN. canonical.
ETYM Latin formalis: cf. French formel.
1. (Of spoken and written language) Adhering to traditional standards of correctness and without casual, contracted, and colloquial forms.
2. Being in accord with established forms and conventions and requirements (as e.g. of formal dress).
3. Characteristic of or befitting a person in authority.
4. Logically deductive.