ETYM Latin depopulatio pillaging: cf. French dépopulation depopulation.
The condition of having reduced numbers of inhabitants.
depredation / deprədeɪʃn̩ /
Ravishing; plundering, pillaging
desolation / desəleɪʃn̩ /
ETYM French désolation, Latin desolatio.
1. The act of desolating or laying waste; destruction of inhabitants; depopulation.
2. The state of being desolated or laid waste; ruin; solitariness; destitution; gloominess.
3. A place or country wasted and forsaken.
1. A bag made of paper or plastic for holding customer's purchases; SYN. poke, paper bag, carrier bag.
2. A woman's full loose hip-length jacket; SYN. sacque.
3. The quantity contained in a sack; SYN. sackful.