ETYM French résolution. Latin resolutio a loosening, solution. Related to Resolve.
The smallest signal increment that can be detected by a measurement system, expressed in bits, proportions, or as percentage of full scale reading; resolution in a video system is the amount of detail in a graphic image.
1. A solution to a problem; SYN. solving.
2. The process leading to the solution to a problem; SYN. solving.
3. Analysis into clear-cut components; SYN. resolving.
4. A formal expression by a meeting; agreed to by a vote; SYN. declaration, resolve.
5. A dissonant chord is followed by a consonant chord.
6. (Computer science) The number of pixels per square inch on a computer-generated display; the greater the resolution, the better the picture.