ETYM as. nama.
1. The word by which things are known or identified; SYN. noun, word.
2. The proper noun by which people or places are known; SYN. moniker, sobriquet, handle.
3. Family based on male descent; SYN. gens.
4. By the sanction or authority of.
5. A person's reputation.
6. A well-known person; SYN. figure.
7. A defamatory or abusive word or phrase; SYN. epithet.
ETYM French réputation, Latin reputatio a reckoning, consideration. Related to Repute.
1. Notoriety for some particular characteristic.
2. The general estimation that the public has for a person; SYN. report.
ETYM as. stocc a stock, trunk, stick; akin to Dutch stok, German stock, Old High Germ. stoc, Icel. stokkr, Swed. stock, Dan. stok, and as. stycce a piece; cf. Skr. tuj to urge, thrust. Related to Stokker, Stucco, and Tuck a rapier.
1. The merchandise that a shop has on hand; SYN. inventory.
2. The capital raised by a corporation through the issue of shares entitling holders to partial ownership.
3. The handle of a handgun or the butt end of a rifle or shotgun or part of the support of a machine gun or artillery gun; SYN. gunstock.
4. The reputation and popularity a person has.
5. Wood used in the construction of something.
6. The handle end of some implements or tools.
7. A plant or stem onto which a graft is made; especially a plant grown specifically to provide the root part of grafted plants.
8. Persistent thickened stem of a herbaceous perennial plant; SYN. caudex.