1. To be in the service of, be a servant of, as of people, institutions, or ideas:
2. To contribute or conduce to
3. To do duty or hold offices; serve in a specific function:
4. To help to some food; help with food or drink; SYN. help.
5. To provide food; SYN. serve up, dish out, dish up, dish.
6. To serve a purpose, role, or function; SYN. function.
7. To act as an attendant to; SYN. attend to, wait on, attend, assist.
8. To serve somebody with a warrant or summons; SYN. process, swear out.
9. To promote
10. To put the ball into play; as in games like tennis
11. To mate with; SYN. service.
12. To spend time in prison or in a labor camp; SYN. do.