1. Lacking embellishment or ornamentation; SYN. unembellished, unornamented.
2. Lacking patterns especially in color; SYN. unpatterned.
3. Not elaborate or elaborated; simple.
4. Not mixed with extraneous elements; SYN. sheer, unmingled, unmixed.
5. Free from any effort to soften to disguise; SYN. unvarnished.
6. Comprehensible to the general public; SYN. popular.
shabby / ʃæbi /
Mean and unworthy and despicable
ugly / ʌɡli /
1. Deficient in beauty
2. Displeasing to the senses and morally revolting
Not beautiful, not aesthetic, not pleasant
uncomely / uncomeli /
ungainly / ʌnɡeɪnli /
Awkward, clumsy, lacking grace
ETYM Old Eng. ungeinliche, adv., from ungein inconvenient; un- + Icel. gegn ready, serviceable; adv, against, opposite. Related to Un- not, and Gain, Again.
1. Lacking in smoothness or dexterity; clumsy.
2. Hard to handle; unwieldy.
3. Having an awkward appearance.
4. Rude; uncivil; ill-bred; boorish; rustic; untutored.