ETYM French réception, Latin receptio, from recipere, receptum. Related to Receive.
1. The act of receiving; SYN. receipt, receiving.
2. The manner in which something is greeted; SYN. response.
3. A formal party of people; as after a wedding.
4. Quality or fidelity of a received broadcast.
5. The act of catching a pass in football.
ETYM Old Fren. route, Late Lat. rupta, properly, a breaking, from Latin ruptus, p. p. of rumpere to break. Related to Rupture, reave, Rote repetition of forms, Route. In some senses this word has been confused with rout a bellowing, an uproar.
A defeat in battle; SYN. discomfit, discomfiture.