ETYM French candide (cf. Italian candido), Latin candidus white, from candęre to be of a glowing white; akin to accendere, incendere, to set on fire, Skr. chand to shine. Related to Candle, Incense.
1. Informal or natural; especially caught off guard or unprepared.
2. Openly straightforward and direct without reserve or secretiveness; SYN. open.
3. Starkly realistic.
1. Used of a person's appearance or behavior; befitting an eminent person; SYN. imposing, magisterial.
2. Set apart from other such things.
3. (Used of persons) Standing above others in character or attainment or reputation; SYN. eminent, great.
ETYM Latin eminens, -entis, p. pr. of eminere to stand out, be prominent; e out + minere (in comp.) to project; of uncertain origin: cf. French éminent. Related to Menace.
1. Having achieved eminence.
2. Of imposing height; especially standing out above others; SYN. lofty, soaring, towering.
3. Standing above others in quality or position; SYN. high.
famed / feɪmd /
Known widely and well, famous
famous / feɪməs /
ETYM Latin famosus, from fama fame: cf. French fameux. Related to Fame.
Well-known; having a reputation for one's deeds or character; celebrated.
ETYM Old Fren. glorios, glorious, French glorieux, from Latin gloriosus. Related to Glory.
1. Bringing great happiness and thankfulness.
2. Having great beauty and splendor; SYN. resplendent, splendid, splendiferous.
3. Having or deserving or conferring glory.
4. Having or worthy of pride; SYN. illustrious, redoubtable, respected.
1. More than usual.
2. Of major significance or importance; SYN. outstanding.
3. Relatively large in size or number or extent; larger than others of its kind.
4. Remarkable or out of the ordinary in degree or magnitude or effect.
illustrious / ələstriəs /
ETYM Latin illustris, prob. for illuxtris; from il- in + the root of lucidus bright: cf. French illustre. Related to Lucid.
Having or conferring glory.
noted / noʊtɪd /
Worthy of notice or attention
renowned / rənaʊnd /
Famous; celebrated for great achievements, for distinguished qualities, or for grandeur; eminent