ETYM French, from Late Lat. compatibilis, from Latin compati. Related to Compassion.
1. Able to exist and perform in harmonious or agreeable combination.
2. Having similar disposition and tastes; SYN. sympathetic.
3. Capable of forming a homogeneous mixture that neither separates nor is altered by chemical interaction.
4. (Of a couple) Existing together harmoniously; SYN. well-matched.
5. (Computers) Capable of being used with or connected to other devices or components without modification.
ETYM Latin tolerans, p. pr. of tolerare to tolerate: cf. French tolérant. Related to Tolerate.
1. Showing respect for the rights or opinions or practices of others.
2. Showing the capacity for endurance; SYN. patient of.