ETYM Cf. French essentiel. Related to Essence.
1. Absolutely necessary; vitally necessary; SYN. indispensable.
2. Absolutely required and not to be used up or sacrificed.
3. Basic and fundamental.
4. Being or relating to or containing the essence of a plant etc.
ETYM Latin intrinsecus inward, on the inside; intra within + secus otherwise, beside; akin to Eng. second: cf. French intrinsčque. Related to Inter-, Second, Extrinsic.
1. Belonging to a thing by its very nature; SYN. intrinsical.
2. (Anatomy) Situated within or belonging solely to the organ or body part on which it acts.
3. Inward; inherent.
ETYM French substantiel, Latin substantialis.
1. Being the essence or essential element of a thing; SYN. substantive, in essence.
2. Having substance or capable of being treated as fact; not imaginary; SYN. real, material.
vital / vaɪtl̩ /
ETYM French, from Latin vitalis, from vita life; akin to vivere to live. Related to Vivid.
1. Existing as a manifestation of life.
2. Having or characterized by life.
3. Performing an essential function in the living body; SYN. life-sustaining.
4. Relating to the chief data about lives.