1. A regular rate of repetition.
2. A regular route for a sentry or policeman; SYN. circuit, round.
3. A single pulsation of an oscillation produced by adding two waves of different frequencies; has a frequency equal to the difference between the two oscillations.
4. A stroke or blow.
5. The act of beating to windward; sailing as close as possible to the direction from which the wind is blowing.
6. The sound of stroke or blow.
ETYM AS. bete, from Latin beta.
1. Biennial Eurasian plant usually having a swollen edible root; widely cultivated as a food crop; SYN. common beet, Beta vulgaris.
2. Round red root vegetable; SYN. beetroot.