1. A blow hard enough to cause injury
2. A solid missile discharged from a firearm; SYN. pellet.
3. An explosive charge used in blasting.
4. An informal word for any attempt or effort
5. An aggressive remark directed at a person like a missile and intended to have a telling effect; SYN. shaft, slam, dig, barb, jibe, gibe.
6. An attempt to score in a game.
7. A heavy metal ball used in the shot put
8. (Informal) A chance to do something; SYN. crack.
9. A person who shoots (as regards their ability); SYN. shooter.
slug / sləɡ /
ETYM Old Eng. slugge slothful, sluggen to be slothful; cf. LG. slukk low-spirited, sad, Eng. slack, slouch, Dutch slak, slek, a snail.
Obsolete unit of mass, equal to 14.6 kg/32.17 lb. It is the mass that will have an acceleration of one foot per second when under a force of one pound weight.
Unit of gravitational mass of approximately 32.174 pounds.