ETYM French flacon, for flascon, from Old Fren. flasche, from Late Lat. flasco. Related to Flask.
A large metal or pottery vessel with a handle and spout; used to hold alcoholic beverages (usually wine).
ETYM Akin to lg. pott, Dutch pot, Dan. potte, Swed. potta, Icel. pottr, French pot; of unknown origin.
1. Metal or earthenware cooking vessel that is usually round and deep; often has a handle and lid.
2. A container in which plants are cultivated; SYN. flowerpot.
3. The quantity contained in a pot; SYN. potful.
4. The cumulative stake in a game (such as poker); SYN. jackpot, kitty.
5. (Informal) Slang terms for a paunch; SYN. potbelly, bay window, corporation, tummy.