1. To become quiet or quieter; SYN. quiet, quieten, quiesce, quiet down, pipe down.
2. To become quiet or still; fall silent.
3. To cause to be quiet or not talk; SYN. silence, quieten, still, shut up, hush up.
4. To run water over the ground to erode (soil), revealing the underlying strata and valuable minerals; in mining.
5. To wash by removing particles; in mining.
1. To suffocate; SYN. asphyxiate, suffocate.
2. To form an impenetrable cover over
3. To envelop completely; SYN. surround.
4. To deprive of the oxygen necessary for combustion; SYN. put out.
5. To conceal, suppress, or hide; SYN. stifle, muffle.