1. The part of something that is furthest from the normal viewer:; SYN. rear.
2. The part of a garment that covers one's back
3. A support that one can lean against while sitting; SYN. backrest.
4. The position of a player on a football team who is stationed behind the line of scrimmage.
5. (Football) A person who plays in the backfield.
ETYM Old Fren. riere behind, backward, from Latin retro. Related to Arrear.
1. The back of a military formation or procession.
2. The side of an object that is opposite its front; SYN. backside, back end.
3. The side that goes last or is not normally seen; SYN. back.