ETYM Originally the same word as than. Related to Than.
1. At that time.
2. In that case or as a consequence.
3. Subsequently or soon afterward (often used as sentence connectors); SYN. so, and so, and then.
ETYM Old Eng. thenne, thanne, and (with the adverbal -s; see -wards) thennes, thannes (hence thens, now written thence), as. thanon, thanan, thonan; akin to Old High Germ. dannana, dannân, danân, and German von dannen, Eng. that, there. Related to That.
1. From that circumstance or source; SYN. therefrom, thereof.
2. From that place or from there; SYN. therefrom.
3. (used to introduce a logical conclusion) from that fact or reason or as a result.